eNTRaDaS PaRa La HiSTeRia

domingo, 19 de febrero de 2017

Nick Moss Band - From the Roots to The Fruits (2016). Entrevista a Nick Moss


Nick Moss y su banda de gira por España del 16 al 26 de Marzo de 2017


Por primera vez de gira en España el guitarrista más inspirado de la actualidad, un estilista del blues y un auténtico visionario e investigador del género que hace de cada directo una experiencia inolvidable.

Nick Moss es una de las luminarias del blues mundial no lo decimos nosotros los dicen un tipo llamado Buddy Guy que siempre ha declarado que es su actuación favorita de cada año en su club Buddy Guy Legends… y no sólo él sino el propio Ronnie Earl de Roomful of blues ha declarado en numerosas ocasiones que Moss es su guitarrista favorito en la actualidad.
No en vano este guitarrista originario de Chicago ha sido nominado la friolera de 16 veces en los premios de blues más prestigiosos del mundo los Blues Music Awards

NICK MOSS BAND 
From the Roots to The Fruits (2016)

Otro viejo amigo Jimmy Thackery siempre habla de Nick Moss como el más importante baluarte en la evolución de estilo blues, con su visión progresiva y la intención conceptual en sus albums. Todos los que lo han visto en directo os dirán lo mismo. Una noche con la Nick Moss Band es una aventura para los sentidos y una noche inolvidable.

Su último disco “From the Roots to The Fruits” le está situando en lo más alto de las listas del género. Se trata de un disco doble que supone un tratado desde el blues de Chicago hacia el blues rock jam progresivo pasando por el Soul blues influído por Syl Johnson o Little Milton.


THE INTERVIEW

The songs of Nick Moss sounds like an elegant Blues Rock where I can detect Hard Rock and bit of Jazz. A mix of styles that results on the personal and beautiful sound of your music. But, what are really your musical influences?
My main influences are all from Blues. Rock & Roll from the late 60's and throughout the 70's are what got me interested in music, but learning the blues is what opened me up to the world of feeling and becoming what I play. I come from a traditional Blues background; Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, Buddy Guy, Freddie King....these are the influences I start with. As I grew older I renewed my interest in the British rock gods from my childhood. I also have a yearning for music that moves my heart and soul, any kind of music; Jazz, Country, Classical, Folk....if it moves me, I will love it forever!

Next year will mark 20 years since you edited our first album named “First Offense”. What is the difference between the music of Nick Moss today and your music 20 years ago?
I have constantly tried to progress with each recording to find my own voice in the Blues. I started out mimicking my heroes and paying homage to them through my playing and songwriting. Each recording I tried to add a little bit more of who I thought I was at that moment in time. Eventually, my recordings become a little less traditional and a bit more progressive and rock, as that was where my head was at the period in time with me going back and reintroducing myself to the Rock from my youth that led me to Blues. I think I have come full circle now and have a good mix of all that has influenced me over the years.


What's your inspiration when making your songs?
Anything really. I am a bit more conscious about what is happening in the world now that I am a parent, so some of my songs have a statement. I am a man, so some of my songs are about love either lost or found. I really try to tell my story in a song without being to convoluted.

Are you completed your expectations with your last album “From the Root to the Fruit”? What do you expect from this album?
This CD was my way of bringing it all together...my influences and my belief that without the Blues, modern music wouldn't exist.

What do we will see and enjoy in your live concerts?
Hopefully pure Joy!! I am there to make you lose yourself and let go, and heal the anxiety and stress of the day. I play to heal myself in that way.

This is your first time in Spain. What do you expect from the Spanish crowd?
I have actually played Spain on a few other occasions. First was with Jimmy Rogers in 1995 or 1996? I believe we did about 18 shows on that tour. I came back in 2008 to play the Rock & River festival with RJ Mischo and I brought Kirk Fletcher with me. I removed loving Spain! The culture, the people, the food everything about it I remember digging!

What are your plans for this year 2017? We assume that you will touring around clubs and festivals. Can you advance anything to us? Any important event? When new songs?
Not too many "Hot tips"! I am working on new material for a new recording, but I'm always working on new material! I've been touring lately with Harmonica great, Dennis Gruenling, and look forward to seeing what we come up with each night!! He can play in any situation, any genre about any style! He has a huge vocabulary of music in his head, so we surprise each other as often as we can on stage! Unfortunately, he won't be on this trip, but I'm hoping to bring back with me later in the year as I've heard talks of a return trip already in the works!


Do you think the digital world will end with music as we know it today? What do you think is the future of music?
Real music will never die, there are too many people who love to play real instruments, and there are too many people who love to hear real instruments being played. Everyone holds on to what they love, I believe that all music lasts or has longevity, as long as there is a love for it. New music, or new styles will develop as they always have...

What is your best memory about music?
I have so many! Some of my best memories are those of my friends that have passed on. As I get older, I think about the time I spent on the road with Jimmy Rogers, Willie "Big Eyes" Smith, Lynwood Slim, and Barrelhouse Chuck and a few others. These were my mentors, my teachers and my friends, and I miss them all very much. We had some wonderful times making music and the touring the world!

How is a normal day in the life of Nick Moss?
I spend as much time as I can with my daughter and my wife and my two dogs. Being away on the road for long periods of time makes me appreciate my time spent with my family. I love to just hang out with my daughter and listen to her laugh, I love to watch my dogs run and play in the yard, I love to hold my wife close to me on the couch. I love cooking, and I like to have friends over when I can.

What do you think about the current economic and social situation in Spain, Europe and in the World in general?
There is so much "heavyness" in the World, I try to stay focused on the positive. We here in the USA have a lot to deal with in relation to our current administration...as I'm sure you and the whole world know.

NICK MOSS
Gratefull (2015)


MISCELLANY

Could you tell us about...
... A book?:
"On the Road" by: Jack Kerouac

... A movie?:
"Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" by Stanley Kubrick

... A song?:
Too many

... An album?:
Too many

... A group or soloist?:
Too many

... A hobby?:
Cooking.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario